Which Common Indoor Plants San Diego Are Poisonous To Pets?

Indoor plants San Diego that are poisonous to petsDecorating your living space with indoor plants San Diego takes a bit more planning and mindfulness if you have a pet. You may be surprised at the sheer number of common plants that are toxic to pets. Granted, their toxicity varies and the possibility of poisoning greatly depends on the personality and preferences of your pet. If they like to chew on things, you need to be very cautious of where you place your plants and which plants you bring into your home and garden. Check out our post on pet-friendly indoor plants.

Here are some of the regular plants and flowers that ask for trouble when you have a pet.

English ivy

This decorative indoor plant is poisonous for cats and dogs alike. The most dangerous part are the leaves. If your pet munches on them, you can expect excess saliva, mouth irritation and gastrointestinal problems. The toxic chemical ivy contains is triterpenoid saponin, which has a foaming quality (like the soap) and causes irritation to gastrointestinal tract, possibly resulting in vomiting, diarrhea and pain.

Aloe vera

This resilient plant that is recommended to the lazy green thumbs is quite poisonous to pets. Even though the gel in the leaves has skin healing properties, the leaves and the skin of this forgiving succulent shouldn’t be ingested. Aloe vera also contains saponins, like English ivy, so it can cause problems with the mouth, stomach and intestine, possibly entailing ache, vomiting and diarrhea.

Lily

Lilies are extremely dangerous to cats. They are as toxic to them as they are beautiful and fragrant. The species of lilies that are known to have adverse health effects on cats are: day, Japanese, tiger, Asian, Easter, stargazer and Casa Blanca, although you probably shouldn’t experiment with any members of the Lily family if you have a kitty. Ingesting the flower or the leaves can lead to kidney failure, but even the smallest contact with the plant can have hugely detrimental effects on a cat’s kidneys (they shouldn’t even come in contact with lily pollen!). Surprisingly, no effect on dogs has been noticed.

Dieffenbachia

So widespread and pretty, this decorative indoor plant is poisonous from head to toe, so to speak – the stalk, the leaves and the root are equally packed with oxalic acid, toxic to both cats and dogs. This substance is known to cause gastrointestinal irritation, including vomiting and diarrhea.

Poinsettia and mistletoe

This festive and merry symbol of Christmas can spoil your Christmas if your cat or dog decides to have a nibble of it. While it ranks low on the toxicity scale, your pet can experience vomiting, diarrhea and irritation if they ingest the sap. Mistletoe can have very similar effects on your pets, so be careful to attach it firmly and high.

Sago palm

This pretty palm is a huge no-no for pet owners. Be careful if you notice them in your neighborhood or places where you take your dog. All parts of the palm are toxic, but the seeds have the highest concentration of the toxin cycasin. The unfortunate bit is that pets seem to find this particular palm quite palatable. Symptoms of intoxication are gastrointestinal problems like vomiting and diarrhea, but more severe complications are also possible, including seizures and liver failure.

Daffodils and paperwhites

These lovely fragrant flowers are toxic to both cats and dogs. Ingesting any part of it could cause problems, but the bulbs are the most poisonous. Symptoms of poisoning are not only excess salivation, vomiting and diarrhea, but also tremors, low blood pressure, convulsions, depression and arrhythmia.

Pothos

This charming plant is regularly at the top of the list when it comes to beautiful, sturdy, low-maintenance indoor plants San Diego. However, don’t let your cat or dog chomp on your lovely vine. They could develop intense mouth irritation, including burning, excessive saliva and difficulty swallowing.